There is a myth when it comes to home buying that says it’s more affordable to buy during the warmer months. We’ve discovered, with years and years of experience, that the winter months are just as successful for both home buyers and home sellers. This winter is no exception as we’ve seen a hearty market here in Central Oregon over the past several months. It is both encouraging and exciting for the upcoming months, whether you plan to house hunt or put your home on the market.
There are many different things to consider depending on what time of year you are buying a home and knowing some of the following tips might help you save money and time while you hunt for the perfect house for you and your family. It helps to remember that each season presents different issues you will want to consider, and winter is no different. The positives outweigh the drawbacks and buyers looking for a new home during winter have less competition, so you can take your time and really shop around before deciding on “the one.”
- Consider what is under the snow, ice and puddles~ ask to see pictures of the yard during other seasons so you can see what the grass looks like, etc.
- Look for leaky roofs, cracked driveways, any ice dams or potential for such, this should be addressed right away for future planning
- Notice if icicles are hanging from the gutters…a properly insulated home shouldn’t have icicles. Find out how the home is heated and if there are portable heaters being used in any of the rooms.
- Be flexible with scheduling, it’s the holidays and people might have guests staying in their home, so don’t expect last-minute showings during the holidays
- Ask to see all documentation on any remodeling, roof replacements, etc. so you know the work was certified
- Allow more time for closing~ the holidays can throw schedules off so be prepared for things to take a little bit longer during the winter months.
- Be sure to schedule inspections and make sure the inspector can see everything, it might be a challenge, but you don’t want something major overlooked because it was hard to reach due to snow, etc. Ask the experts to be mindful of areas harder hit during the winter months.
It’s often said winter is a buyer’s market, so get out there and start your house hunting today! Feel free to give us a call and meet with one of our expert brokers. We are all committed to helping you find the home of your dreams, any time of the year!